Prospective members: This page has instructions and information for the person who will help you become a new member. For instructions on how you should *start* the membership process, see New Member Orientation instead.
|This page contains suggested procedures. These are provided for instructional purposes. Suggested procedures are not official policy, and can be changed at any time. Officers are encouraged to improve the procedures for their position (after understanding them).
- 1 When Should You Contact the Onboarding Officer?
- 2 Who is currently doing this
- 3 For New Members (Phase 1 and Above)
- 4 For the Person Doing Onboarding
- 4.1 Useful Links
- 4.2 How to Bring a New Member Onboard
- 4.3 Suggested Email Blurbs
- 5 Working Notes
When Should You Contact the Onboarding Officer?
Send onboarding questions to e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions about joining
- Questions regarding the membership process or scholarships
- Going on or returning from hiatus
Who is currently doing this
- Onboarding point of contact: User:Faloia
- Onboarding people:
- TODO: who else?
- Onboarding people:
- Offboarding: User:Mattarnold
For New Members (Phase 1 and Above)
Here's some additional information you'll need while going through the onboarding process.
Mailing Lists and How to Use Them
This email list is open to anyone who wants to speak with i3 members. This list is for you if:
- You are hosting an event at the space which will be open to the public.
- Have business that doesn't have to be kept space-confidential.
- Are a prospective member hoping someone can sign you in to work on your journey to membership.
Joining this mailing list is a required prerequisite to becoming a member of i3 so, please accept this invitation!
This is the members-only list where you will find day to day business such as tool questions, policy discussions, event planning, etc. It's the place to ask most questions if you can't find info in the wiki! Get in the habit of reading it often, this is how we stay up to date on the group, but it can be high-volume so folders and filters are probably a good idea.
Start by posting an introduction, tell us:
- Who you are (name, preferred pronouns, and if you use a handle or nickname, tell us the story behind it!)
- How you first heard about i3Detroit
- What your talents are that you hope to share with other members
- What you're most interested in learning
- If you had a(nother) superpower, what would it be?
Please include your name in the subject line (like "New member Pat Smith"), and it would also be really helpful to include a photo if you can.
This is the google group for i3 Detroit Announce. It is NOT for day to day business. It is important information that every member needs to read, such as vote announcements. This list will convey parking tickets mostly but also, should there be a flood, fire, robotic revolution, or any other major event affecting all members' use of the space, it'll be announced here.
Please don't ignore or filter out i3-Announce; read it as it comes in!
For the Person Doing Onboarding
- Google sheets of submissions for Phase 1 and Phase 2 - completed by members
- Checklist for keeping track of what stage of the process different potential members are at and making sure all tasks have been completed on the VP of Onboarding side - completed by VP of Onboarding
- Gmail Support: Contains links to instructions for changing your Gmail settings to prevent i3 Detroit emails from being sent to spam folder.
How to Bring a New Member Onboard
- Public Mailing List: Add candidate to i3detroit-public
- CRM (MakePi): Add candidate in makepi
- enter realname (Note: does *NOT* need to be legal name)
- enter username
- set to ONBOARDING plan
- check member and onboarding checkboxes
- Wiki: create wiki account
- Phase 2 Link: If the above steps have been completed, then email member and CC membership@ link to link Phase 2
- check candidate has the following:
- Wiki account (wiki activity)
- Slack account
- CRM (Seltzer): Check that candidate's emergency contact info is present
- CRM (Seltzer): Change plan from onboarding to 'member' or 'scholarship' or whatever as appropriate
- Announce Mailing List: Add candidate to i3detroit-announce (use email in CRM)
- Member Mailing List: Add candidate to i3Detroit (use email in CRM), (Reference)
- If all the following has been completed, then do the following:
- Email candidate to create new member post on i3Detroit;
- Suggest finalization-and-key appointment (preferably at a member meeting)
- New Member Post: Verify that candidate has made a new-member post in i3Detroit
- Close-the-Space Tour: tap another recently-joined member to share this work of teaching?)
- Paper Membership Form (PDF | Editable)-- Have candidate physically sign document and place document in folder.
- Membership Dues: Have candidate pay dues and verify payment has been applied in CRM payments tab (email treasurer@ if not seeing it)
- RFID Key: Program a key for the member
- CRM: Start a plan for the member (that's not automatic anymore!)
Suggested Email Blurbs
Contains a list of email templates for mails you might need to send to a new member.
Stale List Invite Reminders
I was checking on some membership paperwork today and noticed that you haven't accepted your invitation to i3Detroit's members-only Google Group:
That means you're not receiving the group's internal communications, and it also means we haven't gotten your introductory post to learn about our newest member! Please look back into your email, it should've come from "i3detroit <email@example.com>" or something very much like that.
I was checking on some membership paperwork today and noticed that you haven't accepted your invitation to i3Detroit's important-announcements Google Group:
That means you're not receiving the low-traffic announcements like elections, important space news, and abandoned property that might get thrown out! Please look back into your email, it should've come from "i3detroit-announce <firstname.lastname@example.org>" or something very much like that.
Phase 1 to 2
Congratulations, you have completed the steps for Phase 1 of the i3Detroit new member adventure! You should have received a pair of emails, one for your account on the i3 CRM (please go there and input your emergency contact and other useful information) and another granting you access to modify the i3Detroit Wiki (if you add some stuff to your user page there people will know who you are, you should do that). Please set up passwords for both of these services and when that is done your journey will continue with Phase 2! Good luck!
P.S. (anything they missed in phase 1 that's not bad enough to delay the process but should still be brought to their attention)
Invite for Memberification
You should have recently received emails inviting you to the i3detroit (private) and i3-announce mailing lists! Please join these lists and submit your introduction to the private list (see your i3detroit invitation for details).
After that's done it is time for the final step in your journey to becoming an i3 Detroit member, the Memberification Meeting! These take place after the first general member meeting of the month (99% of the time this is the first Tuesday, but check the calendar to be sure). It is advisable (though not required) that you bring a laptop to this appointment to simplify dues payment set up. Please respond to this message with your availability so we know how many new members to expect at each session! If this time doesn't work for you let us know and we'll work something out.
Hello! This is a reminder that your i3Detroit scholarship expires later this month. If you still have a financial need you are encouraged to reapply at www.i3detroit.org/scholarship. If you have any questions, feel free to email email@example.com. Good luck!
Your application for a scholarship at i3 Detroit has been approved. The scholarship will be active starting yyyy.mm.dd and will be active for six months, ending on yyyy.mm.dd. You may apply for an extension but please do so at least two weeks before the expiration date. You received a scholarship of $xx so you will owe $yy in monthly dues.
Your application for a scholarship at i3 Detroit has been approved. The scholarship will be active starting yyyy.mm.dd and will be active for six months, ending on yyyy.mm.dd. You may apply for an extension but please do so at least two weeks before the expiration date. You received a full scholarship so you will not owe any monthly dues.
Your application for a scholarship at i3 Detroit has been approved, contingent on you completing the membership process. The scholarship will be active starting when you become a member and will be active for six months. You may apply for an extension but please do so at least two weeks before the expiration date. You received a partial scholarship in the amount of $xx per month so you will owe $yy in monthly dues.
Your application for a scholarship at i3 Detroit has been approved, contingent on you completing the membership process. The scholarship will be active starting when you become a member and will be active for six months. You may apply for an extension but please do so at least two weeks before the expiration date. You received a full scholarship so you will not owe any monthly dues.
About Onboarding-Related Roles
- Organize Friday Night Tours
- New member sign up coordination
- make keys
- makes sure a CRM login is given to the new member
- Gets member on e-mail lists
- gives slack invite/tells them about slack
- within 120 days contact new members them about helping out
- refers change plan requests to Treasurer ->
- gets re-joined members' key reactivated
- Coordination of former members and their various access and permissions
- Occasionally go through the Google Groups and follow up with outstanding (not accepted) invitations.
- Reports to board meetings
- Number of new members, number of exited numbers, number of active onboarding people
- Total number of members
- takes and accounts for dues
- handles dunning (collections)
- handles changing of membership plans in the CRM
- Remove access to stuff when people leave
- notifies exiting members about:
- potential left storage and when it becomes i3 property
- any loaned tools that need to be taken away or they will also become i3 property
- ask for the key back
- ask why they are leaving
- follow up about:
- storage (empty it, or tell storage@)
- re-label tools as i3 property (wiki too)
- collects and analyses information about why members are departing
- Define what "hiatus" means Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20200811
Hiatus Duties/Hiatus Procedure
- Set an end-date for the membership plan
- Start a new "hiatus" plan, if requested.
- Queue key deactivation (Nate B as MC, this means putting an entry in my "todo-when-at-i3" list)
- Email the member (and cc the treasurer) that this is done
- In that email, make sure they remembered to clean out their member storage, de-label the plot, and edit the Storage Plot List
On return from hiatus
- Confirm member is on all groups
- Invite them to review/repeat the signup training if they feel it prudent
- Reactivate key