Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20211012
- 1 Minutes for 10-12-2021
- 2 Meeting Location
- 2.1 Virtual Meeting Etiquette
- 2.2 Officer Reports
- 2.3 Committee Reports
- 2.4 Old Business
- 2.5 New Business
- 3 COWBELL
- 4 Meeting Metrics
Minutes for 10-12-2021
Meeting was Called to Order At: 19:36 by Jamie
Virtual Meeting Etiquette
- Be excellent.
- Attendance and voting can be found in the #meetings slack channel.
- Please show up early if you are concerned about your audio.
- If there is no one waiting to speak feel free to do so at the next opportunity.
- If there is someone waiting to speak, please say that you are raising your hand in the google call chat. (This will be demonstrated)
- Please refrain from other side conversations, these can be distracting for the rest of the meeting and make it difficult for the chair to keep track of what's going on.
Treasurer & Budget
- Profit & Loss: File:ProfitandLoss 2021 09.pdf
- Operating Income: File:OperatingIncomeReportYTD 2021 09.pdf
|Allocated to Zones/SIGs/etc.||($28,773.04)|
|Allocated to Expansion (MEDC)||($31,357.37)|
- There are reports with numbers in them.
- Overall revenue is slightly up do mainly to dues, and also the timing differences on payments.
- There are two lease payments because the timing of due dates is different and they adjust over time on a different time as well. Part is due to when the leases were signed.
- Variance will continue as long as payments are paid with checks which they are.
- Have made the payments to the IRS, so we should owe nothing. It will probably take quite some time before any processing or review to see about a refund.
- Deadline for expansion is the end of the year. About $70K of the $100K was spent so far.
- When should we send the list of board and officers to the State? It's already late and there is a late fee that needs to be paid.
- Plan to review this in 1 week.
- Did PR and networking with Makerworks. There is a summary in the public relations slack channel.
- No need to update COVID rules at this time.
Senior Vice President
- Did some Friday night tours.
VP of Activities & Classes
- Have updates to our existing brochures, and will work on an updated design in a few months.
- There was a class recently.
- Potlock is on October 23rd.
- Grand opening is soon, but not when anyone who wants to lead it is available. Any takers?
VP of Membership-Onboarding
Membership changes since last meeting:
- 1 Potential member started Onboarding
- 3 Members completed onboarding
- 1 Member went on Hiatus
- 1 Member returned from Hiatus
- 1 Scholarship renewal
- 2 Scholarship expiration
- 1 Scholarship start
Scholarship fund update:
- 12 Members on scholarship
- $548 Allocated (30.7% available)
- Average value of $45.67/scholar
- There are numbers here too.
- Net change of +2 dues-paying members and -1 scholarship since last meeting
- About how many people that start onboarding never finish?
- It's on the metrics page. Tracks how long in each phase. About 84 are over 6 months so these are likely to not finish. The count starts in October 2016.
- What is the definition of success? The main goal was to get those that are a good fit in, so it's not designed to be something that requires no effort.
- Should we advertise with signs in the area when we have events?
- Nothing to report.
- Actually scheduled a meeting for next week!
- Did not meet.
- Cintas came. They added one new fire extinguisher, charged one, and updated a bunch of signs and things. Used up the entire budget for this. There has been some question about updating some of the first aid stuff, as well (do we need a second AED for B side? (probably not, Mike looked it up and it's good for 70k square feet) for instance). That's a different department of Cintas, though, so we have to contact them separately. But if any of it costs money, we'd have to allocate money toward that.
- Reports only expected in July.
- Getting a quote is reasonable.
Camera Review Review
- 2021-09-26: Review of front door area that day to ensure a lost purse left the building
- 2021-09-29: Review of wood shop tablesaw between 26 and 29th
Summary of Board List/Slack Discussions since last meeting
Outstanding action items
kiln zone coordinators insurance
- Discipline could use some process.
- It's easier to have expectations and consequences laid out before hand. It also makes it look less personal as it's just following the process. Better documentation would be very helpful. If it's easier to be an advocate, it might be easier to find additional volunteers for the position.
- Proposal: Mark - Change to 5 board members for 2022 and onward because 7 is too many people
- It doesn't really need 7 board members to have a difference of opinion.
- The larger the number of board members the longer it takes for emergency things that need quick response.
- Shouldn't this be done in 2023? With the staggered terms, it would be better if one person from each term group dropped.
- The board really shouldn't need to make emergency decisions that often.
- Does having a larger number of board members make it more or less likely for things to get done? Does more increase the probability that nobody does something.
- Having more specific sub-roles handled by a specific board member solve the issue that it's easier as you'd know who to go to.
- Would be good to have a brainstorming session to define what all of the sub-roles that we'd want to divide up.
- Plan on a fourth Tuesday discussion to work out details.
- Thoughts on moving the board meetings to the 3rd Tuesday and eliminating the second member meeting of the month.
- Will discuss with membership first to see if they want to remove the 2nd member meeting.
- Think about doing this at the first member meeting next month.
Action Item Summary
No action items.
|Proposal||Moved By||Seconded By||Aye||Nay||Result|
|Nominate Brandon Biller as automotive zone coordinator.||Jamie||Evan||6||0||PASS|
|Nominate Jan as sewing zone coordinator.||Jamie||Mike||5||0||PASS|
|Motion to approve last months minutes||None||None||0||0||PASS|
|Nominate Paul Lee as kitchen zone coordinator.||Jamie||Matt||6||0||PASS|
|Nominate Mel as a member advocate.||Jamie||Rick||6||0||PASS|
|Nominate Rick Cortright and Roger Slykhouse as co-coordinators for the kiln zone.||Jamie||Mike||5||0||PASS|
|Move the board meetings from the 2nd Tuesday of the month to the 3rd Tuesday of the month if there are no longer member meetings on the 3rd Tuesday of the month.||Evan||Mark||6||0||PASS|
- Time completed: 21:39
- Funds appropriated: $0
- Attendees: 12
- David Henry
- Melissa Gilchrist
- Matt Carpenter
- Paul Lee
- A’Lisa Krawciw
- Jamie Burdeski
- Matt Gardeski
- Jan Henry
- Mike Fink
- Rick Cortright
|Previous Meeting||Next Meeting|
|Board Meeting Minutes 20210914||Board Meeting Minutes 20211109|