Powermatic Oscillating Spindle Sander
|Powermatic Oscillating Spindle Sander|
|Name||Powermatic Oscillating Spindle Sander|
|Make Model||Powermatic 014|
|Part Number||S/N 9814037|
|Storage Location||This oscillating spindle sander is located on a rolling cart in the Wood Shop.|
|Documentation||* Owners Manual|
|Other References||* Oscillating spindle sander consumables are on this list: Wood Shop Consumables|
For shaping/sanding wood. A very versatile tool good for removing small amounts of material and splinters. Within limits (see below), plastic and aluminum can also be sanded.
- When sanding plastic, use the lightest possible pressure. Only do touch-up sanding, not bulk material removal. If the contact temperature gets hot enough to melt the plastic, solid plastic deposits will block the grit and the abrasive will be ruined. Make sure to clean all traces of plastic dust from the spindle when you are done. If you leave plastic dust on the spindle, it can melt and ruin the abrasive when the next user sands wood.
- When sanding aluminum, use the lightest possible pressure. Only do touch-up sanding, not bulk material removal. Structural aluminum alloys are harder than the adhesive used to hold the grit to the paper. This means your aluminum workpiece is capable of scraping the grit off of the paper, which ruins the abrasive.
- Don't sand or leave anything wet unless you meticulously clean up afterwards, the table will rust.
- Let your workpiece touch the spindle and have the spindle do the work. If you have to use force to press your workpiece into the spindle, the abrasive is worn out (and unsafe).
When changing drums, it takes (2) 17 mm wenches (hanging on the side) and since it is a left had thread, turn clockwise to remove. when changing sandpaper sleeves, the compression nut on the top is also left handed. Do not over tighten the nut is 12 mm, wrench hanging on the side
- Periodically cleaning the abrasive with the big natural rubber stick extends the life of the spindle.
- White plastic-sanding dust must be removed from the spindle as soon as possible.
- Solid plastic deposits cannot be removed from the spindle with the big natural rubber stick; this just wastes rubber.