HOWTO Chair the Budget Committee
|This page contains historical information. It is provided for reference but does not reflect current information or policy.|
Tasks/Responsibilities of Budget Committee
- Manage the Budget and all associated processes.
- Present reports to Board and Membership.
- Use the Transaction Recognition Policies defined by the Treasurer.
- Set all i3 policies regarding Budget documentation and accounting, subject to override by Board Action.
- Hold working meetings if the Committee has more than one member.
- Make sure that budget@ is set to archive both incoming and outgoing emails permanently.
- Pass all communication and documentation thru budget@ to insure archiving.
- Budget@ becomes your permanent archive for the next person.
Processing a Reimbursement Request
- Get payee name, mailing address, scan of receipt, amount, and Line Item # from the submittal, either from a form reimbursement request (see the Instruction Manual for Budget) or by informally gathering the information to email@example.com.
- Make sure the name, amount, line item and scan of receipt pass thru budget@. If you are handed paper, photo it and send it to budget@.
- Send email with amount, name and description to Authorized Agent, per budget. Insert in spreadsheet Color ORANGE.
- Pester Authorized Agent until approval/rejection. Let Authorized agent handle rejection directly with submittee.
- Cut check to submittee. Place in month when check is cut. In spreadsheet mark PURPLE.
- When submitee receives check or check clears bank, mark GREEN.
Processing a Budget Amendment Request
- All amendment requests given to the Treasurer will be vetted for completeness and forwarded with an opinion by the Treasurer to the Board at monthly Board Meeting.
- Give an opinion when asked on all amendment requests done ad hoc in the Board Meeting.
- Add each approved amendment to the Budget after the Board meeting, giving a new line item #
- Add all paid bills to spreadsheet.
- Add all income to spreadsheet.
- Freeze for month and start new sheet for budget through end of next month in Spreadsheet.
- Create a detailed Budget Report Spreadsheet and Budget Report Summary monthly. Archive in i3 Data Vault.
- Publish that report to the monthly Board Meeting and an appropriate Members Meeting.
Yearly Budget Creation
- Distrubute instructions to Coordinators and interested members on how to submit a budget item for submission.
- Forecast the General and Special Events budget submission form historical trends.
- Aggregate all budget submissions into a master spreadsheet and deliver that to the Board prior to the Annual Budget Meeting.
- Preside over the Annual Budget Meeting in which the Board create the Budget for the new cycle.