Minutes:Meeting Minutes 20220705
- 1 Minutes for 07-05-2022
- 1.1 Meeting Location
- 1.2 Introductions
- 1.3 Show and Tell
- 1.4 Old Business
- 1.5 New Business
- 1.6 Zone updates
- 1.6.1 Automotive Zone
- 1.6.2 Bicycle Shop
- 1.6.3 Ceramics Zone
- 1.6.4 Classroom
- 1.6.5 CNC Zone
- 1.6.6 Commons Area
- 1.6.7 Craft Room
- 1.6.8 Electronics Lab
- 1.6.9 Fab Lab
- 1.6.10 Glass Zone
- 1.6.11 Infrastructure
- 1.6.12 Injection Molding
- 1.6.13 Jewelry Zone
- 1.6.14 Kitchen Zone
- 1.6.15 Laser Zone
- 1.6.16 Leather Loft
- 1.6.17 Machine Shop
- 1.6.18 Media Lab
- 1.6.19 Tool Crib
- 1.6.20 Vinyl Zone
- 1.6.21 Welding Zone
- 1.6.22 Wiki
- 1.6.23 Wood Shop
- 1.7 Space Project Updates
- 1.8 SIGs
- 2 COWBELL
- 3 Meeting Metrics
Minutes for 07-05-2022
Meeting was Called to Order At: 19:36 by Jamie
Virtual Meeting Etiquette
- Be excellent.
- Attendance and voting can be found in the #meetings slack channel.
- Please show up early if you are concerned about your audio.
- If there is no one waiting to speak feel free to do so at the next opportunity.
- If there is someone waiting to speak, please say that you are raising your hand in the google call chat. (This will be demonstrated)
- Please refrain from other side conversations, these can be distracting for the rest of the meeting and make it difficult for the chair to keep track of what's going on.
- Mel - Member Advocate and now Membership Onboarding as well.
- Nate - Has been here forever. Hosts the virtual Friday tours on alternate Friday's. Now working to see if everyone that visits the space can use the vinyl cutter to make a bumper sticker. Coordinator for the eLab too.
New Members & Guests
- Megan - in Phase 2 of signup. Was a member of a makerspace in Houston before a recent move to the Detroit area.
- Ean - Moved to Berkley in agust - EE at Detroit Diesel. Hopes to improve welding skills and to become a member.
Show and Tell
- Nate - New VNA kit for the elab. Now has nice foam cutouts for things.
- Laser cut illuminated panels. Black polystyrene on top of uncolored coroplast. Super light and cheap, but looks awesome and works when backlit very well. Looks sort of like metal.
- Fiber optic lighting, hanging down 6' strands lit with RGB LEDs. Viewed by looking up.
- Illuminated Control panel. Triangular buttons from Adafruit. Some non-standard use of conduit for mounting.
- A'Lisa - Drawings for the Twitch channel. Liquid glue based cephalopods.
- Jody - Bismuth crystals
- Jeff Burdick
- Working on setting up some Tormach machining operations. Engine that just fits. Boring out for new pistons.
- Dodecahedron that has no symmetry. Can hopefully be used when 3D scanning so if it's visible it's possible to determine orientation if tracking is lost.
Outstanding Action Items
- Volunteers to host upcoming Friday tours?
- Up coming Events Calendar
Change Board Election Date
Change Standing Rules 12.3 in the following ways:
A regular meeting of members shall be held on the first Tuesday of September, at 7:30 PM., for the purpose of electing directors and transacting other business as may come before the meeting.to "Board will be elected by electronic ballot, with the ballot open for the week prior to the third tuesday in July."
- Remove the following sections
- The secretary shall prepare electronic and/or written ballots prior to the election meeting.
- Completed ballots must be returned to the secretary by the end of the Election Meeting.
- Absentee ballots must be requested from the secretary (secretary @ i3detroit.org ) at least 1 day prior to the election.
Right now board elections are uncomfortably close to when we have to report board and officers to the state, and in the past we didn't have new officers yet and we had to report the previous years officers.
Moved by Mark, Seconded by William
12 Ayes / 0 Nays
Straw Poll to change number of board members
Right now we have 7 board members. The board can change it at will anywhere between 5 and 11. As a board member, I would like to change it to 5, but want this to be a discussion rather than the board just doing stuff.
I think 5 is a more appropriate number, because right now we have zero board members who are not also an officer or a zone coordinator or both. I think reducing the number of board members to 5 would help reduce burnout because this way there are less officers *also* being board members. I don't think that 5 is too few to get a full range of representation from members, but some disagree and I dunno how to evaluate that so I want to see what different people think.
If we reduce the number right now before the next election it should be easy to adjust numbers because we're down one board member already and we just elect the correct number and then nobody has to resign or anything weird.
- Evan - Would like
- Mel - Generally the board strives for consensus, rather than just a majority, so the issue of unamity is seldom an issue. The downside is that the board as a process is not designed to execute very quickly.
Many more people want to be on the board vs join committees. Nate - Issue of urgency looks to be largely addressed by following proposal. The board isn't designed to be quickly. Evan - The board doesn't do much on a daily basis. Nate - The perceived appearance to power seems much higher of Jamie - The speed of boards seems to be fairly common across other boards too. Opposed to reducing the numbers. Could make committees to divide up the powers of the board. The board should be driving the vision for the space, but seems to lack the time to do them. Fewer people will result in less diversity. Jan - The perception is that being on the board gives a direct vote and then a voice. It does make sense that not all positions are going to overlap with needing to be the board. Also likes the idea of committees for communications. Jeff B - It seems like each zone is it's own makerspace, and the only part that seems to tie it all together is the board. This may explain why people are more willing to be on the board. Nate - Forming committees is something that we could do without making changes. Mark - High level vision would be good, but not sure how to get there. Mel - Director of Communications is a good idea, but it's been hard to find someone to do that. It shouldn't be a board thing. Jeff - Who is currently tasked with vision? - Not sure if it's a very formally defined process. It probably could be done by any member.
- Everyone can do, seems to translate into nobody does.
- Example, document the onboarding process, so any member that's available and willing.
Nate - Pointing out what isn't board business, and discussing it as space business is a better practice.
- Straw poll results - 5 for, 4 against, and some other indifferent emojis.
Give Individual Board Members and Advocates the power to temporarily suspend/ban someone until a special board meeting
Please think of a better name for this
Append to the suspension section
- A suspended member may be signed in as a guest as long as the hosting member knows the details of the suspension and that the host knows they are responsible for the suspended member.
8 Ayes / 0 Nays
Right now the suspension process is that someone causes issues, a few weeks later the advocates and or board talks to them, and then the board decides what to do. In cases where the individual continues to cause issues, this doesn't work very well. The current board and advocates believe that this power would make it easier to resolve some issues that were difficult because of the way suspensions were organized. The suspension wording change is how it works right now but it's unclear to many people that is how it works.
Moved by Mark, Seconded by Nate
Add below the ban section
Double Secret Temporary Discipline (working title)
- An individual Board Member or Advocate can at their discretion give someone a temporary suspension or ban until a meeting with the board.
- This meeting must happen within two weeks or the temporary suspension/ban expires.
- This temporary suspension/ban may or may not be announced on the list at the discretion of the board/advocate doing it.
- This is for people who the board member/advocate think will cause issues before a meeting can be scheduled under the normal process.
- Nate - There is no requirement for notification.
- Mark - Notification would be good.
- Any member can already ask another member to leave. There is no timing specified and it's temporary.
- Evan - should announce to the board.
- Jeff - is looking at links from other makerspaces to see how they handle / word the policy.
- Nate - seems unfinished.
Move to table
Moved by Nate, Seconded by Jeff
0 Ayes / 0 Nays
Space Project Updates
Action Item Summary
No action items.
|Proposal||Moved By||Seconded By||Aye||Nay||Result|
|Append to the suspension section
|Move to table||Nate||Jeff||0||0||PASS|
|Change Standing Rules 12.3 in the following ways:
Add below the ban section
Double Secret Temporary Discipline (working title)
- Time completed: 20:10
- Attendees: 16
- Mark Furland
- Jody Raiford
- Jeff Burdick
- William Kent
- L. U. Cymry
- Grayson Browne
- Mel Gilchrist
- Jamiie Burdeski
- Jan Henry
- David Henry
- Megan Greenwood
- Nate B
- Mike Fink
|Previous Meeting||Next Meeting|
|Meeting Minutes 20220607||Meeting Minutes 20220802|