i3 Vending machine:
- The controller that recognizes bill images might need to be updated or replaced
- Cash (see bill acceptor) - RFID, debit the members account and invoice them through e-mail and let the Treasure know of payment due or overdue.
- Credit card, bill the credit card via amazon or paypal.
- Bar code and passkey. Buy it online and get a QR code and passkey in your email. Scan the QR code and enter the passkey and it will vend the product. It will reserve at least one item they bought online.
- Crediting/ Paying off the account can be handled via the machine or the online payment system.
- TCP/IP over ethernet with a server backend that processes and logs purchases. - How to handle encryption of transactions?
- How do we add functionality yet keep the power requirements low?
*embedded ARM based computer? *Beefy microcontroller?
What to put in it:
AVR SPI, USB JTAG cable, USB serial cable, custom AVR dev kit, i3 t-shirt (in a tiny plastic bag), leatherman (maybe i3 branded), utili-usb key (portable open source software, diagnostic software, live distro image, multi-boot linux installs), weekly electronics course kit, vegan snacks, carnivore snacks, omnivore snacks, ramen, power bar, lockpick kit, lock bumping kit, the 5-in-1 network admin's cable, geeky bits from thinkgeek
- How do make it look shiny and interesting?
- Webcam linked to tilt/ shake sensor. Take picture of someone shaking the machine, post it online for ridicule
Surprises/ challenges and Easter Eggs
- Prizes for buying so much from the vending machine should be rewarded - Monthly challenges