Revision as of 16:51, 10 February 2013 by Nbezanson
Mentors should be adept with:
- Google Groups, digest mode, web interface, archives
- Google Calendar
- Various webmail services (gmail, hotmail, yahoo mail)
- Wiki editing
General mentorship principles:
- This is a social call, which happens even if nothing's wrong.
- If there are issues to fix, do that, but mostly, get to know each other and help the new member get to know the group.
- As a mentor, you aren't expected to know everything, but to know where to look or who to ask.
- Encourage the new member to do that: Learn who to ask and how to self-guide.
During the first appointment:
- Make sure the new member is getting group emails, or keeping up using the web interface.
- Find out if the member has a project in progress, and help them find resources or collaborators.
- Talk about a project you're working on.
- Find out if any questions on the worksheet stumped them, point towards solutions.
- Find out if they've brought any friends by the space, offer to roleplay the guest-and-waiver-and-sign-in process.
- Ask if they have any questions about why the standing rules are written the way they are
- Run through the last-one-out checklist together, letting the new member do the steps, you just following.
During the second appointment:
- Discuss a potential improvement and encourage the new member to begin implementing it.
- Wiki member page?