Meeting Minutes 20131119

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search


Contents

Agenda

Chair Justin Triplett

Action Item Review

Introductions

  • Bruce Webber
  • Auren Kaplan - Digital marketing

Zone updates

E Lab

  • Black cart by cleaning supplies cabinet will become part of the E Lab supply storage
  • Pay attention to what your guests are doing because sometimes they are driving nails into the ceiling and throwing wires over power lines
    • This has all been fixed.

Bike Zone

  • Wiki page for the bike zone?
    • Jason needs some help, advice, volunteer
  • Someone brought in a bicycle repair stand, Thank you!
  • Very not cool, a bicycle chain breaker tool is missing
    • Jason's personal property
    • Please return it

Fab Lab

  • Second laser class happening tonight
    • It's full
  • Open 3D printer course Thursday at 7pm, meeting in the common area
  • Looking for open source tool chain because Windows XP software is not working well enough for the Protomat CNC

Tree House

  • It's a good tree
  • Going to clean it soon in preparation for painting
    • By that Max means he's going to have people helping
    • It's up high
    • And Max is short

Welding Zone

  • A sad sad place right now
  • Jody was laid off in his factory clothes, so he will have more time to work on the zone :( ... :) ?

Craft Room

  • No noose is good noose

Wood Shop

  • Jointer and Planer class on Thursday 11/21 at 7pm
    • Scheduled on Eventbrite, Greg learned how to do this
    • Smack-talk: Jason should learn to use the wiki for the Bike Zone

Metal Shop

  • Working on getting the buffer up and going
    • Do you still believe in that buffer? - Ted
    • Yes. - Brian
  • Make sure metal shop drill bits from the Metal Shop are returned to where they belong.
    • They are nicer
    • different than the ones in the tool crib
    • Metal shop set: not for general purpose use, tool crib bits: for general use

CNC Zone

  • Not much else new going on in the machine shop
  • Vise mounted in the mill, so we could actually cut parts if we wanted to today!
    • Applause
    • Some trouble with getting the power in, solved it
    • The Haas controller is not entirely intuitive, figured it out
  • Wood doesn't usually, go in the CNC because we don't change the coolant frequently enough to prevent wood from rotting and fermenting
  • Hobby CNC
    • MasterCAM for it? so we can use it? - Andrew M.
  • CNC training
    • A "grueling process"
    • Takes more than a couple hours to learn
    • Currently figuring out how training will work for the Haas CNC
    • Want to be training people to think about the whole process of milling

New Business

Pot Lock

  • Lock you in, get you to fix, improve, clean i3, then food.
  • Coming up soon in December
    • Happening either the 7th or the 14th
    • Matt is reminded of his soldering class on the Dec. 7th, oops.
    • It's an arranged appointment with a group of school children.
    • It's happening 1-6pm in a fixed slot.
    • He hasn't heard anything from them recently so it might be ok to move it to another time?
    • He needs to follow up on that.
  • Etymology lesson: It's a pot luck and a lock-in

Member Storage

  • Discussed: If you're not touching your member storage for a while, make room for people that might use it.
  • Reaper process
    • Take pictures of plots that look inactive
    • Contact, and ask people if they're using the space
  • Discussion: Is the membership storage woefully inadequate?
    • Can we do better? - Max G. A.
      • Would like to see the Wood Shop be more than saws on carts
    • The current storage is awesome because no one else has made anything better - Ted
      • Lets make a plan before we tear anything down.
  • Discussion will continue on the email list

Floor Plan

  • Lots of people are updating this
  • Floor plans have been updated, re-updated, over updated
  • There are possibly more than one location for the floor plan on the wiki -Andrew M.
  • Key players: Greg S, Brian W. Matt A.
  • Possibly work on this together during Pot Lock
  • Do we want a large format print of the floor plan?

Ham Radio

  • Landlord said he is willing to approve a permanent antenna installation
  • Wants the antenna to be something permanent, not something that's moved around a lot

L'Anse Cruse HAM Radio Swap

  • Point of contact Matt Huber
  • 8 am to noon on December 8th
  • $5 admission
  • At Lance Cruse High School
  • Swap your gear
  • All kinds of electronics
  • Do we want a presence there?
    • Get a booth?
    • Price of a table $15

Water Heater

  • It's over the electronic circuit breaker
  • This will be a Pot Lock item

Lost and Found

  • Pick up tables
  • Put things back where they belong
  • Clean up your stuff
  • Learn where things belong
  • Do your part to clean up at the end of the night
    • Help out a buddy, don't leave the last person to clean everything
    • Check with the last person before you leave to ask if they will need help

Independent Film at i3

  • Point of contact Ted H.
  • Saturday 8am to 12 noon
  • Needs relative quite
    • No loud tool usage
  • Is anything scheduled? that day? - not on the calendar.
  • It's a comedy, a spoof of TED talks
  • No objections

American Physical Society

  • Point of contact Margaret L.
  • American Physical Society funding for doing public outreach?
  • Outreach has to be physic related
  • Email was sent to APS coordinator about a proposal, got positive response
  • Proposal due December 15th.
    • Requires some writing and a couple planning meetings
    • Money disbursed in February 2014 to i3 Detroit
      • Will need to be handled by Treasurer, we need to report i3's EIN to APS
    • Outcome needs to be reported to APS, possibly in video format
    • Seeking interested members to help with the proposal

Action Items

  • Max G.A. - Post info on painting the Tree House
  • Matt O. - Follow up on the soldering class
  • Justin T. - Start discussion on changes to member storage practices
  • Justin T. - Start planning HAM radio antenna
  • Justin T. - Start thread about L'Anse Cruse HAM Radio Swap
  • Ted H. - Post to list about independent film to ask/notify members about the filming time on Saturday
  • Margaret L. - Post to list about APS outreach

Attendance

  • Justin Triplett
  • Maxwell Gonyea-Alexander
  • Konrad Brown
  • Bruce Webber
  • Auren Kaplan
  • Al Schwartz
  • Ray Crucet
  • Matthew Gardeski
  • Andrew Meyer
  • Ted Hansen
  • Jason Dudycha
  • Halley Miglietta
  • Gary Morin
  • Matt Arnold
  • Steve Brook
  • Kevin Flory
  • Dave Scholl
  • Margaret Lyell
  • Greg Smith
  • Mark Miles
  • Brian Wennberg
  • Adam Scholl
  • Matt Oehrlein
  • Matt Huber
  • Adrienne Patterson
  • Jody Raiford
  • Maddy Winans
  • Nathan Warnick
  • Devon Truscott