Meeting Minutes 20110802
Revision as of 11:36, 24 June 2012 by Cmounts
General Member Meeting August 2, 2011
Meeting called to order 7:32 (after troubleshooting the phone bridge)
- Changing of office occurs in about 2 months.
- Two separate elections: one for board of directors, one for officers.
- Officers operate day-to-day business; BOD directs long-term vision/direction.
- An individual can be both a director and an officer.
- Details of each officer position can be found in the bylaws.
- Need to fill out app.
- Ed and Paul meeting with E.A. Schensky on Aug 16.
- Narrative not yet written.
- Still on track for end-of-summer completion (mid-Sept)
Maker Faire Recap
- May not be a MF next year; sponsorship slot is open.
- After party: Rocco did a great job prepping for party; thanks to all who contributed (Rocco, Rocco's brother, Dustin, Bill Putt, Paul K, Brad M)
- Power Wheels: Thanks to all who helped out. i3 Detroit placed 2nd overall; KC fire killed chances of 1st place.
- Cleanup: MF projects need to find homes. Stuff on carts is temporary; find your stuff and get a home for it ASAP. Please clean up your property by Aug. 9.
- If you have any of Rocco's moving blankets, please put them with the others on the golf cart.
- Tent Layout:
** Eric didn't like layout this year; MF recommended the approach used this year. ** Being able to be seen from the main aisle draws people in. ** Ground markings might have helped. ** Still might be room for improvement in the flow. ** Second tent (with Eric, Cherish, etc) didn't seem to get much traffic.
- Any way to encourage/help members get their projects done early?
** MF dry-run/preview a month before? ** Perhaps have makers describe/debug their projects at meetings leading up to MF. ** AA MMF might be a good target for members to aim for. ** Basically want to improve quality of showings!
** Should probably consider renting a truck next year. ** One project didn't make it to MF!
- Group projects:
** Make likes 'em; maybe next year we can have one or more? ** Forums can be a good place to organize group projects.
- TechShop Open House
** TS wants to be 'formally friendly' with i3. ** Thanks for the beer!
- Thank yous
** Bill's cart was extremely useful ** Hopefully it will be available for future events
- Neatorama: Similar to boingboing
** Offered to give us t-shirts in exchange for event exposure.
** Setup was done in the heat of MF, so it needs some work. ** Not going to push it until it's revised. ** Target goal of $25K is high but necessary (cost breakdown available).
- Tool replacement program
** 'Don't Panic' program: form with check boxes to indicate what's broken and the suggested replacement cost.
- Upcoming Events
** Floppy recovery disk party ** Should schedule classes! ** Arduino intro: Makershed is going to send a box of mintyduinos for classes. ** Makershed interested in new kits; can help with manufacturing. ** Possible head-casting class in early Fall. ** Eagle class? ** Makers Asylum model is very successful. ** For series: maybe charge for entire series up-front to avoid drop ins/outs.
- Open House
** Might be able to get governor to visit ** Other ideas for 'anchors' are welcome; see Nick. ** Need to have events for the next few weeks to ride MF wave. ** Ted volunteered to have something for this Friday; Nate Saturday. ** Something for Dream Cruise?
- Member Storage
** The reaper will reap soon. ** Can't get Genie back there due to stuff sticking out from shelves. ** Recent power washing caused grimy water to flood floor of member storage.
- MF NY
** Submission deadline is Aug. 8. ** If there is enough interest, we may be able to get a tent there.
- Rocco needs reimbursement for party; $576 remaining to be reimbursed.
** Ted called vote to reimburse Rocco up to $600 for party expenses. ** Votes in favor: 10 ** Votes against: 0 ** Abstain: 0
Meeting adjourned at 8:26.