Board Meeting Minutes 20140114

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search


Contents

Agenda

Chair Justin Triplett

Action Item Review

  • Justin T. - Make a financial and a membership report by the 3rd Tue meeting
    • Members deserve to see some hard numbers on the state of space.
    • 60 Unknown payments -- dues payments received without a name attached to them (tha
    • Plan is to still have this for next week
  • Mark Miles - look into how to determine fair market value
  • Nate Bezanson - Do something with the Home Depot Account
  • Scott Richardson - Call up MI state to check that i3 is registered as a charitable organization, and if not, get i3 registered
  • Scott Richardson - Clarify whether we would be auditable if there were any official Stratocube affiliation
  • Brian Wennberg - Write up a proposal for purchase of pallet racks, meet with effected zone wardens
  • Greg Smith - Proposal for costs of foyer floor plan improvements, discuss with Jamie B.
    • In progress
  • Dave Scholl - Come up with a proposal for how donations in zone boxes are reflected in the budget
    • Dave is still working it out, speaking with Mark M.
    • Zone wardens would report to the Treasurer every time they take the money out of their box
    • The wardens would then be allowed to spend the money on items in their budget as approved by the Board
    • What defines a zone box?
  • Konrad Brown - Proposal to board to approve submission of the APS grant proposal

Treasurer

  • Mark M., current i3 treasurer is leaving for a new job
  • Board must decide on how to replace the position
  • Thanks for your service Mark! <applause>
  • Hey Evan, we heard you might be interested in doing that for us. -Justin T.
    • Sure. -Evan
  • Delegation of some duties is recommended to the Treasurer as a good practice for sanity.

Proposal to Elect Evan Alan as the New Treasurer

  • 5 of 7 Board members vote in favor with 5 present (and 1 virtual, vote not received)
  • Motion passed

Floor Plan

  • Topic requested by Terry Wynn
  • Greg did an accurate diagram of what currently exists
  • It's been on the wiki for over a month
  • Can we make this official?

Proposal to Make This Document The Official Floor Plan

  • 5 of 7 Board members in favor with 5 present
  • Motion passed

Zone Budgets

Wood Shop

  • Seeking to reallocate funds for purchasing a router
    • Looking to purchase a higher quality router
    • Average life of Sears Ryobi is about 1 hour :(
    • Looking to get a better quality tool that will survive the amount of use they receive at i3
    • Advice from a woodworking school instructor says we should get a Bosch
      • Looking at one for $207 on Amazon
    • Asking for up to $250 Max

Proposal to Rellocate Funds for Purchase of a New Router

Board of directors i3 Detroit                            Jan 14, 2014
R: Woodshop budget reallocation

We have $1480 Budgeted for Major equipment the first 7 months of 2014
This includes $ for a Sander and possibly a 14 inch band saw
The wood shop is in need for a good durable router for the router table. We have broken 2 cheap routers in the last 6 weeks, one donated to i3, one on loan. I don’t know if the one loaned has been handled as a member arranged this by himself and I don’t think he is the one that broke it.
I am seeking authorization to spend $ $250 max for a  2 ¼ hp Bosh router that will be installed in the router table.

Greg Smith,
Woodshop Co-warden

Budget vs Actual for 2013

Major items            Budget         Actual
Major Items           $1270          $495.87
Expense                $770          $474.27


                       Budget         Actual
Major Items           $1480          $0

Cc: Dave Scholl
  • 5 of 7 Board members in favor with 5 present
  • Motion passed

Welding Zone

  • Tabled for discussion between Jody, Nate and Board

Vinyl Zone Budget

From: Nate Warnick 
To: i3 Board
January 13, 2014

Over the past 7 months the vinyl zone has made zero purchases. The funds collected from the box sit in i3's bank at (as of 8-13-2013) $112, with another $98 in the box. I've had numerous requests for some vinyl, and supplies. 

Proposal to Allocate Funds for Purchase of Vinyl

Proposal: To add a line to the budget that Roger S. created and was approved by the previous Board for $200 for vinyl zones consumables

  • 5 of 7 Board members in favor with 5 present
  • Motion passed

Metal Zone

  • Metal chop saw would be useful, and the correct tool for many cuts done at the space
  • Daek Band saw is meant for precision cuts, but not for frequent use
  • Estimated $150 for saw and blade
  • What about the drill press?
    • We were holding off funds saved in the Metal Zone budget to purchase a metal drill press

Proposal to Allocate $150 for Purchase of a Metal Chop Saw

  • 5 of 7 Board members in favor with 5 present
  • Motion passed

Proposed Wardenship Change

  • The following motion will be introduced, with a request for second and board vote

MOTION TO RELIEVE NATHAN WARNICK FROM ZONE WARDENSHIP

WHEREAS any member who handles i3 Detroit financial transactions, including withdrawals from Zone Money Boxes, has a duty of transparency with regards to those transactions,

AND WHEREAS the Board of Directors has responsibility for i3 Detroit financial record keeping, according to the law, as well as a legal duty to make sure that i3 Detroit financial transactions are consistent with its non-profit status and mission,

AND WHEREAS the Board appreciates Nathan Warnick’s enthusiasm and many contributions to i3 Detroit, but is concerned that lengthy and unexplained delays in obtaining documentation to account for his withdrawals from the Welding Zone Money Box compromises the Board’s ability to properly and efficiently oversee corporate spending and financial record keeping,

AND WHEREAS after the Treasurer had given detailed explanations to Nathan Warnick for what documentation is needed, and after several individuals had made multiple requests for the needed documentation, four more weeks of unexplained delay ensued, after which Nathan Warnick provided incomplete documentation to account for his withdrawals from the Welding Zone Money Box,

WE RESOLVE that effective immediately, Nathan Warnick is relieved of his role as Zone Warden of the Welding Zone, the Vinyl Shop, and the Injection Molding Shop,

AND WE RESOLVE FURTHER that the lack of transparency in Nathan Warnick’s financial transactions related to the Welding Shop Money Box, as exemplified by incomplete documentation after lengthy unexplained delays, is not aligned with the best interests or purposes of the corporation. Accordingly, Nathan Warnick is hereby requested to provide complete, correct, and legible documentation for said transactions to the Warden of the Welding Shop and to the Treasurer as soon as is practicable. In addition, Nathan Warnick is hereby requested to provide complete, correct, and legible documentation for recent transactions related to the Vinyl Shop Money Box to the Treasurer, as soon as is practicable.

  • Tabled for vote over email

TXRX

  • A hackerspace in Texas
  • Jody went there
  • They have 37,000 sq ft
  • They have regular safety courses
  • Members teach classes for personal profit
  • They have formal, project based, classes for pay

Action Items

  • Justin Triplett - Make a financial and a membership report by the 3rd Tue meeting
  • Scott Richardson - Call up MI state to check that i3 is registered as a charitable organization, and if not, get i3 registered
  • Scott Richardson - Clarify whether we would be auditable if there were any official Stratocube affiliation
  • Nate Bezanson - Do something with the Home Depot Account
  • Konrad Brown - Send reminders about action items
  • Greg Smith - Proposal for costs of foyer floor plan improvements
  • Dave Scholl - Come up with a proposal for how donations in zone boxes are reflected in the budget
  • Terry Wynn - Become the budget champion/drone! Talk with the treasurer and Dave Scholl about zone money boxes
  • Justin Triplett - Organize the communication between Terry, Dave, Evan about budgeting
  • Marie-Therese Enga - Start a discussion on changing the language of the standing rules in the warden.

Attendance

  • Justin Triplett
  • Konrad Brown
  • Maxwell Gonyea-Alexander
  • Matt Oehrlein
  • Madalyn Wynans
  • David Scholl
  • Marie-Therese Enga
  • Steve Brook
  • Evan Alan
  • Matt Huber
  • Nate Bezanson
  • Nate Warnick
  • Adrienne Patterson
  • Greg Smith
  • Jamie Burdeski
  • Kevin Flory
  • Rob Lifton
  • Jody Raiford
  • Ken Buttery
  • Rahamath Shaik
  • Saad Shaik
  • James Kemp
  • Melissa Gilchrist
  • Virtual
    • Ed Platt