Board Meeting Minutes 20110111
Present: Eric Merrill Joe Bender Paul Kerchen Ross Smith Dennay Bedard Nate Bezanson
Kids in Space
- Need to change bylaws to allow minors: parent/guardian must sign waiver.
- Perhaps it would be more expedient to amend the bylaws as needed instead of waiting for full rewrite.
- Need to investigate liability; make sure insurance covers minors.
- What should policy be?
- Hard to separate policy from parenting.
- What to do about kids whose parents aren't members/present?
- Maybe children under a certain age aren't allowed on shop floor?
- Age-based rules are not practical.
What is policy for barring guests from the space?
- Needs clarification: how long are barred members barred?
- Suggestion from Nate: Any member can kick someone out; permanent status voted on at next board meeting.
What to do about the specific case of [redacted for privacy]?
- One last warning.
- Safety of members & guests is the reason.
- Disruptive to other members is secondary but also important.
Awesome tool acquisitions
- New member wants to move his laser cutter to space (48" x 30" cutting area).
- Vaccuum forming table.
- Move electronics storage from west wall area?
- Build fablab area in west wall?
- Account is currently in name of defunct company.
- DTE will probably try to bill landlord for back payment.
- Need to get power bill in i3's name.
- Possibly meter neighbor's usage and subtract his usage from bill?
- Gas line runs next door and beyond.
- Landlord is very reluctant to take on any binding agreements for anything.
- Landlord is adamant that we get DTE energy bill in our name.
- Don't do anything about power until the bills arrive.
- Need to start thinking about it.
- Need Russ's and Nick's contacts.
- Membership increases have tapered off: last four months membership numbers have not changed.
- Member inreach: need to get members more connected.
- Raise issue with Ed about possibility of modifying CRM to support "friend roulette"
Meeting adjourned 9:11 PM.