How do we do this better...

edited April 2013 in GraveYard
Lets brainstorm how can we do this better...

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Tape off an area dedicated to lost n found on the shelf seen from the door side. Put a large note that won't be read by anyone stating when items are free range and abandoned
    Post edited by Nate_LapT at 2013-04-03 02:22:39
  • edited April 2013

From Terry W:

The general gist of the rules is that a unnaccounted for piece of material (homeless stuff) out on the shop floor should be Marked with a month and put in the Lost & Found and publicized as best as you can, after one month anyone can move the item from L&F to Graveyard, where it can be claimed as salvage by anyone, then someone not specified can "clean out the graveyard"

Here are my list of issues, please feel free to comment, argue, or add to the list.

1) Lost and found seems much too small to accomodate the items we need to handle, like a project or a piece of equipment.  IIUC, L&F is the 18 inch x 48 inch top of a storage closet, where things like business cards and magazines are currently kept.  Take a look at what made it to the Graveyard, it cant' nearly fit in that area, unless I am mistaken about where the L&F is.

2)  We need to be more precise about the procedures on clearing out the Graveyard.  How long should we age an item in the Graveyard?  Can anyone disposing of an aged item by throwing it in the dumpster?  I know there are certain areas of the graveyard that need special handling disposal.  Let's list that in the wiki and mark the area and tell people when an item should go to that particular spot of the graveyard.

3) Sometimes we have homeless stuff on the shop floor that are too big or too heavy to get to a L&F area. What do we do then?

4) What constitutes homeless stuff and what other types of stuff should be out on the floor (i.e. discuss Parking Permits)

5) What should a person do when an expired Parking Permit is still sitting on the shop floor?

6) What does a person do when they see something that doesn't look abandoned?  Discuss "Where does this go" boxes and indicate which zones have them.  Also talk about same for large items, i.e. we have 4 bags of cement on the shop floor, I want to get them where they should be, but I have no use for them.  WHat do I do?

7)  If a member, or someone who contacts a memeber want to "donate" an item, what should the member do?  Should they make the decision to allow/refuse on their own, if not to whom do they ask? With the above, any special rules, like "No CRTs" should be written on this page.

Thanks.  Please discuss.  Are these the right issues?  Are these documented elsewhere?  If so, do they need pointers here?  Again, I am not looking to create a set of Draconian rules, but the member who wants to do the right thing for homeless stuff on the floor needs to be able to find what the "right thing" is.

Post edited by darvon at 2013-04-03 14:11:22
  • How we can do this better:

1)  Collect issues with the existing rules in the wiki.

2)  Validate/prioritize issues.

3)  Propose solutions to one or more issue.

• BTW is this how we are supposed to discuss policy issues?  I am fine with this, but is the membership?

• Another issue:

Graveyard is overflowing.  We seem to have problems on Graveyard Output.

• Another issue.  Publicity.  I certainly am unclear on the Stuff Handling procedures,  like No CRTs and how do we receive a donated item.  I also, as a newbie, have gotten conflicting definitions of L&F from the vets.  As we nail this down, we need to publicize.

• Here is my shot at writing up what I know (or have guessed) about Stuff Handling.
    Please let me know what I have gotten wrong, missed, or jumped the gun on.  Once we nail down the procedures can we publish? wiki and signage.

=====

Stuff Handling Procedures  (Part 1)

INPUT

Sometimes we need to bring in “stuff”
    like tools, materials, or projects into i3 that will be left at i3
    when you walk out the door for the night. These are the procedures
    for doing that.

1. You may store stuff in your
      storage area (“plot”).

2. If you bring in larger raw
      material than can be stored in your plot (like a sheet of plywood),
      there are designated areas for storing member material. They are:
      [list of material storage areas]. Make sure your name, tel#/ and a
      date of storage are on the material, else it will be assumed that
      those are available for consumption by all members.

3. If you have a tool that you wish
      to allow others to use, but without transferring ownership to i3,
      and wish to store it in the area associated with that type of tool,
      contact the appropriate Zone Warden to make sure they accept it
      into their Zone[link to Zone list]. If there is no Zone Warden for
      that area, contact a Board Member. Coordinate with the Zone Warden
      where to keep the tool, how to label it, etc.

4. If you have a project which is too
      big or heavy to store in your plot, you must obtain a “Parking
      Permit” before storing a project on the shop floor at i3. Once
      you have obtained your Parking Permit attach it prominently on your
      project. You are responsible for removing your Project before the
      Parking Permit expires, or obtaining a new, extended Parking Permit.

5. If you have material or tools you
      wish to permanently transfer ownership to i3, please contact the
      Zone Warden and follow the Donation Procedure [link] before bringing
      the item to i3.

6. Certain materials and items are
      not permitted in i3 by the wishes of the Board. The i3 Banned Items
      list is: [insert list]

OUTPUT

If you notice a small personal item,
    like a phone or a hat, that seems to be forgotten, please put the
    item [place] and contact the owner privately. If the owner is
    unknown, also take a picture and post it on the Members Only section
    of Google Group.

If you see i3 material which is not in
    it's designated spot, please put it there.

From time to time, you may notice an
    item on the shop floor which doesn't look like trash, or small
    personal property, but rather someone's tool or material or project,
    but has been there awhile and does not have a current Parking Permit
    or possibly any permit at all. If you know the owner of the item,
    please contact them politely to move to their storage, get a Parking
    Permit, or take it home. If, after 30 days and repeated contacts,
    there is no correction of the issue, talk to a Board member.

If the item has no known owner or home,
    then it is “Homeless Stuff” and needs to be disposed of and
    removed from i3.

At i3 we have a 2 stage disposal system
    for unauthorized items on the shop floor.  We do that just to
    make sure we don't trash something that is innocently mislaid or
    forgotten.   Remember we need to treat each item like it
    belonged to a friend.

Moving Homeless Stuff off the Shop
    Floor (or other areas where it doesn't belong) for Disposal.

1. Move the item to the first stage
      of disposal, called Lost & Found. Lost & Found is located
      [give location].

2. Tag the item with month and year.
      Masking tape and a pen will do.

3. Take a picture of the item.

4. Post the picture and the fact that
      an item has been moved to Lost & Found to the Members Only
      Google Group.

Exception: If the item is too large or
    heavy to be moved into the Lost & Found area then [post when we
    figure out what to do]

That's it. The owner now has (at
    least) a month to figure out their stuff was moved to Lost and Found
    and claim it. No one other than the owner should claim an item from
    Lost & Found.

• Stuff Handling Procedures (Part 2)

Cleaning Lost & Found

1. Any member can (and should) take
      some time and clean a few items from Lost & Found to make room.

2. Take any unclaimed article in Lost
      & Found which was tagged more than a month ago ( i.e. in June,
      2013 it is OK to move items tagged April, 2013 and earlier) and move
      it to the second stage of disposal, The Graveyard. The Graveyard is
      located at [description]. When an item is in the Graveyard, it is
      free to all for “salvage”.The Graveyard is meant to be a buffer
      for our members to “salvage” unclaimed items that are still
      useful to someone.

EXCEPTION: If a member has an item
    which is not trash, which they want the membership to be allowed to
    salvage, they can directly move their item into the Graveyard. Do
    not bring items to i3Detroit specifically for the graveyard
    . Use
    the Virtual
    Graveyard
    on this here wiki if you want to post items for other
    members to take off your hands.

1. Tag the item with the new month
      that the item goes into the Graveyard.

2. Post that the item has been moved
      to the Graveyard in Google Group.

3. Any member can “salvage” an
      item in the Graveyard and becomes its new owner. Please store it
      appropriately or remove it from i3.

4. When moving an item into the
      Graveyard, there are special areas for special categories of items.
      [list of categories and what we do with them that is special and
      why]. Please put any special items in the appropriate special area.

That's it.

Cleaning the Graveyard

1. Any member can (and should) take
          some time and clean a few items out of the Graveyard to make room.

2. Any item that has been in the
          Graveyard for more than a month can be disposed.

3. Move disposed items from the
          General Area of the Gravyard to the dumpster.

4. Move disposed items from the
          Special Areas of the Graveyard to their designated disposal site.
          If you are unsure, contact a Board member.

That's it.

• I just found "Parking Ticket" in the wiki.

The concept of Parking Ticket is not in my above effort.

Also the concept of Parking Ticket seems to completely neuter the idea of anyone being able to move something into L&F.

I don't understand at least one thing on how this is supposed to work together.

• So after 15 gadzillion bytes of posting, let me summarize.

1)  We need a self-consistant set of procedures.  IMHO, the 4 different pages in the wiki that talk about stuff handling are contradictory and insufficient.  I am now totally confused as to what the existing rules are and I believe I have read everything.

2)  We need to make sure the membership actually wants the procedures.  I assume that is through presenting to board.

3)  We need wiki and signage to SHOW the new procedures.  Even at my best guess at the rules, I get different explainations and actions from the vets.  I think many veterans may have differing ideas as to what the current existing rules are.

• The lost n found system came into place when we moved in in 2010, it was not used as well as you'd expect. I think the parking tickets came into place late 2010 early 2011 to help with clutter of random items all over the shop. There were large abandoned projects filling the shop floor, it was worse than ever.

As I've done the majority of poking the membership about certain things, I have not applied a parking ticket to items that should technically have received one, though I have contacted the owners and tried to get things moving or figured out the progress.

The CRT policy has been an unwritten policy as far as I know.(all the way back to 2009 at the old space) Some reason people think we are a dump for crt's and tv's :( We're not a recycling center for useless junk :\
  • So who is supposed to be allowed to move something from the shop floor to lost and found?
    The Parking Ticket description states that homeless stuff cannot be moved without a Board vote.
    Yet if it goes to Lost & Found, it is 60 days of inaction away from the dumpster.

• Both systems are flawed :(
    Contents of both procedures should be merged so they dont conflict.
    As the next meeting is 2 weeks away, plenty of time to hash out a proposal for the membership to accept.

Generally it hasn't been a big issue. Owners are contacted and actions are taken. 

In reference to the scooter being moved to the graveyard, that was not properly taken care of.

Somethings in the shop are obvious, and others not so.
    I've been trying to contact the owners of the large pile of stuff lately, I'm pretty sure all but one has responded to me.
  • As a newb, I really want to NOT disturb traditions of the group.  But sometimes things that are obvious vets leave me clueless.

There are LOTS of things that I have  seen left around the shop or in the graveyard for all of the 5 months that I have been a member.  I would be happy to chuck a few of them every so often into the dumpster, but I can't tell if that breaks tradition or follows it, so I do nothing and feel frustrated because of it.

So let me stop complaining and make some suggestions.  I need to question the vets.

1)  Do we want a 2 stage disposal system?
    2)  Do we want any member to be authorized to move items from shop to Stage 1  to Stage 2 to Dumpster?
    3)  Do we move from Stage 2 to out of the building solely on age?

If we want a 2 stage system, probably the Lost & Found has to have more storage area than the Graveyard, because only some of the items in the L&F go to the graveyard.  So unless we aggregate longer in the Graveyard, L&F will be have much higher traffic.

• Lost n found items generally as I recall (haven't read the policies that are written in a while) let a board member know about said item, so they can A) Parking ticket item B) Contact owner C) Move item to graveyard

The turn out of the graveyard to dumpster is not a high demand, the shelves can hold quite a few items, the upper shelf generally never gets items though thats not a bad thing as you generally can't see up there anyways.

Though as I stated above, the unwritten rule of no CRT's should get written!!  Though that only helps if the person accepting a donation knows of that rule.
  • Nate,

Are we the Stuff Handling committee?

How about the first question.  Do we still want a 2 stage disposal system?

• Nate,

How about we do it a different way.  Why don't I just write up the little inconsistancies that I see between rules and procedures in the wiki and the Standing Rules, which seem to be the Master list of procedures and send them into the board for voting?

The only issue I see OTHER than inconsistancies is that the L&F needs to be much larger and clearly marked and that we need to add a "Banned Items" list with item #1 CRTs.